Thank you for your interest in the jailer profession with the Marshall County Sheriff’s Office. The beginning wage is $19.88 per hour with benefits including insurance and I.P.E.R.S. pension.
Lateral transfer is allowed for applicants who are currently Iowa certified jail officers in good standing. Starting wage for lateral transfers with more than two years post academy service is between $21.08-$22.37 per hour based on training and experience.
To be eligible to take the physical fitness and written examination, your completed application must be submitted to the business office and include:
- A copy of your birth certificate
- Military form DD-214 (if applicable)
- Certified school transcripts
- Current photograph
- If any of these items cannot be submitted with your appplication by the deadline, you must advise in writing that they will be forwarded.
Physical Fitness and written testing will occur by invitation on a date to be determined. Female applicants are encourage to apply.
The minimum standards for Marshall County Jailer applicants are as follows:
- Is 18 years of age or older.
- Is able to read, write, and communicate effectively in English. Bilingual skills are an asset.
- Is of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state, and national fingerprint files.
- Is not by reason of conscience or belief opposed to the use of force, when appropriate or necessary to fulfill the person's duties.
- Has the ability to perform the essential elements of the position as defined in department job specifications (including keyboard/computer skills and the ability to write reports).
- Is an appropriate candidate for employment as demonstrated by qualified psychological screening.
- Is in good physical condition and free of contagious diseases as certified by a physician.
- Has successfully completed, or is willing to complete, the State required jailer training within the first year of employment.
- Has a valid Iowa driver’s license, or the ability to obtain one by time of employment (there are additional specific requirements related to a person’s driving record).
- Resides, or is willing to reside, within a 40-mile radius of the Sheriff’s Office.
- Is not addicted to alcohol or drugs.
- Must be willing to submit to a polygraph examination, which will cover all areas of the minimum qualifications.
- Meets requirements for Jailer Physical Standards.