Phone: (641) 754-6380
Fax: (641) 754-6369
Our TeamSteven Hoffman
Sheriff Hoffman has served as a peace officer since 1991, joining the Marshall County Sheriff's Office in 1994 as a deputy sheriff assigned to patrol. He held a number of positions including traffic safety officer; motorcycle officer, drug task force investigator, and sergeant. He has been an instructor in defensive tactics and striking instruments since 1997 and was appointed to serve as the agency's third-in-command as Chief Jailer in July 2005; serving in that capacity through July 2014 when he received the appointment as Chief Deputy, assuming the agency role as second-in-command with responsibilities in the area of field-services including patrol, investigations, civil and transportation as well as other administrative duties for the agency. Sheriff Hoffman was elected on November 8, 2016, and was sworn in as Marshall County Sheriff on January 3, 2017.
Sheriff Hoffman regularly leads the public and other government agencies on tours of the jail and enjoys speaking to public groups and civic organizations.
Appointments & Community Involvement
Joel R. Phillips
- Team Captain, National Multiple Sclerosis Society 150-mile Bike Tour (2005-Present) annual fundraiser
- Iowa Valley Leadership, Class of 2006-2007
- Alliant Utility Powerplant Advisory Board (2007-2009)
- Iowa State Sheriffs' & Deputies' Association-Legislative committee member (2007-Present)
- Panelist- Simpson College Fall 2007 Criminal Justice Conference, "When Policy is the Problem"
- Iowa Supreme Court Task Force on Courts of Limited Jurisdiction (2008)
- American Red Cross, Iowa Rivers Chapter Board of Directors (2008-2014)
- American Red Cross, Vice-Chairman, Iowa Rivers Chapter Board of Directors(2009-2010)
- American Red Cross, Eastern Iowa Chapter Volunteer (2008-Present)
- Iowa Public Employees' Retirement System Benefit Advisory Committee (IPERS BAC) (2009-Present)
- American Red Cross, Chairman, Iowa Rivers Chapter Board of Directors (2010-2014)
- Court Mental Health Workgroup 2010 (Iowa House File 2526)
- Iowa Valley Leadership Steering Committee (2011-Present)
- Mental Health and Disability Redesign 2011; Judicial & DHS Workgroup (Senate File 525)
- Boy Scouts of America TAMAHA District, Nominating Committee Chair (2014, 2015)
- Not In Our Town (NIOT), Board member (2015-2018)
- Domestic Violence Coalition member (2015- Present)
- Sexual Assault Response Team, committee member (2015-Present)
- Marshall County Emergency Management Commission, Vice-Chair (2016-Present)
- Marshalltown Area United Way, campaign cabinet (2017)
- Central Iowa Community Services regional workgroup (Senate File 504) (2018)
- Marshall County  Communications Commission, Chairman (2018-Present)
- Marshalltown Area United Way, campaign co-chair (2018)
- Junior Achievement (Elementary Volunteer 2018)
- United Way 2018 Campaign Co-chair
- Marshall County 911 Services Board Member (2019-Present)
- Iowa State Sheriffs' & Deputies' Assn. Permanent Legislative Committee Chair (2019-Present)
- Salvation Army, Marshalltown Advisory Board Member (2019-Present)
, Chief Deputy
Chief Deputy Joel Phillips has served as a peace officer since 2002. He joined the Marshall County Sheriff's Office in 2002 as a Deputy Sheriff assigned to the patrol division. He has served in a number of roles including firearms instructor, rifle instructor, chemical munitions instructor, reserve peace officer instructor, A.L.I.C.E instructor, and Pepperball instructor.
In May 2008, he was assigned to the Mid Iowa Drug Task Force as an investigator for the Marshall County Sheriff's Office. In 2011 Deputy Phillips was promoted to the rank of Sergeant, assigned as the Field Office Unit Supervisor for the Mid Iowa Drug Task Force.
August 2014 Detective/Sergeant Phillips was appointed to serve as Chief Jail Administrator, third in command with responsibilities overseeing the Jail Division.
In February 2017, he appointed as Chief Deputy, assuming the agency role as second-in-command with responsibilities in the area of field-services including patrol, investigations, civil and transportation as well as other administrative duties for the agency.
Appointments & Community Involvement
- Drug Endangered Children Multi-Disciplinary Team, 2010-Present
- Child Abuse Prevention Service Executive Board, 2014-Present
- Mid Iowa Drug Task Force Executive Board, 2014-Present
- Iowa Valley Leadership, Class 2014-2015
- Marshall County Drug Court, 2015-Present
- Federal Law Enforcement Training Center Leadership Class #5, 2018
- Marshall County Communication Technical Oversight Board, 2018-Present